Introducing Church Planting Movements
Church Planting Movements are remarkable movements that see the rapid multiplication of church. David Garrisons well-known definition is: “a rapid multiplication of indigenous churches planting churches that sweep through a people group or population segment”.
Neill Mims and Bill Smith say that CPMs have 5 reproducing elements
- Reproducing bridges that lead to massive gospel witness
- Reproducing gospel presentations
- Reproducing discipleship that turns new believers into CPM partners
- Rapidly reproducing churches
- Reproducing leadership development
To qualify as a CPM, the following criteria must be met:
- A 25% Annual Growth Rate in Total Churches for the past two years
- A 50% Annual Growth Rate in New Churches for the past two years
- Field-based affrmation that a CPM is emerging
These movements focus on evangelism and then the discipling of converts by equipping them to evangelise and disciple others.
Most CPMs occur in Asia and other parts of the third world but there are groups implementing the CPM principles in USA, Australia and New Zealand. Listen to the podcasts on Steve Addison’s Movements site.
Starting Church Planting Movements – Act Beyond
There is a similar video here.
The Spontaneous Multiplication of Churches (article) – George Patterson
The Basic CPM Plan and T4T – Steve Smith
Church Planting Movements – David Garrison (different document but same name)
Church Planting Movements: The Next Wave? – David Garrison, 2004 article from the International Journal of Foreign Missions
Ed Stetzer series of blogs on viral churches
- Part 1: Multiplication Movements
- Part 2: Multiply Everything
- Part 3: Model Multiplication
- Part 4: Let Churches Lead And Welcome the Planter
- Part 5: Include Planting In Your Missional Purpose
- Part 6: Plant By Multiplication, Not Funding: Viral Churches
- Part 7: Be Born Pregnant
- Part 8: Open More Lanes
Interviewed by Steve Addison of www.movements.net.
Curtis’ website – www.metacamp.org
Examples of churches doing it
Caring Better For Members By Training Them To Multiply – Jimmy Tam (Mission Frontiers article)
Four Fields Of Kingdom Growth – Nathan & Kari Shank
Following and Fishing – Steve Addison training on multiplying disciples, groups and churches everywhere.
Discovery Bible Study Method
Specific Aspects of CPMs
Church Planting Movements Are Leadership Movements – by Stan Parks, in Mission Frontiers
RAD: Rapidly Advancing Disciples
T4T: Training For Trainers
Various links to T4T material.
50-5-50 Network (a plan to see 50 churches in the next 5 years (2013-17) each have 50 Church Planting Movement and Disciple-Making Movement trainers.